Tuesday 8 March 2011

Marvel top 3 reads of 2010

In no particular order:
1. Old Man Logan: The last time I was this impressed with a story centering on Wolverine was Kubert and Millar's "Origin". Even some of the better comics aside from these can be essentially Logan facing a torrent of enemies which he will proceed to take down until he is the only one left. This isn't a bad thing, it's true to his character. Old Man Logan goes beyond all that and focuses on a what if whereby Wolverine was the only surviving superhero living in a world of supervillains locked in a power struggle to become the supreme ruler of the world. It is what Marvel would call a "what if story" and DC would call an "Elseworlds tale". This adds additional appeal for me.
2. Planet Hulk and World War Hulk: Usually what I expect from the Hulk is very pulpy stuff, the kind of thing the layman thinks of when someone mentions comics. Typically of the Hulk I would expect him to smash property and public spaces up, war with the military complex and now and again fight with cosmic entities like The Silver Surfer and Thor. Greg Pak changed my perceptions a little and introduced me to a side of the Hulk I had never seen previously. This Hulk was smart, noble, courageous, loyal and just. He was a betrayed hero who through new shared battle experiences and the bond of captivity made new allies to fight alongside.


3. Spiderman: New Ways to Die: Before this it had been years since I had found a solo Spiderman title or story which I was able to really get into and enjoy. It reminded me of the united Spiderman and Venom, as seen in the Spiderman game for the Playstation, except this time it was a conflict of Spiderman and Anti-Venom against Venom. The twist being the former host of venom being the new host of anti-venom.






Now, over to Norman Osborn.



Thank you Geordie Green Lantern. Today I approve of: Warrior Hulk and the new and improved more psychotic Venom.








No comments:

Post a Comment